Concert Memories

Go down

Concert Memories

Post  Caniac on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 pm

I am sure we all have some memories about some concerts that you went to not long ago. If you would like to share an experience please post it.

Here is a good one.
I used to go to concerts a few times a month. Went to the Filmore East, The Garden and many other places where someone was playing. Used to sleep out the night before to get tickets.
One concert I did not get tickets for was for Led Zeppelin at the Garden in 1970 or 71. I worked in a bagel store on Long Island NY, the night shift on some weekends. This one boy that was a few years younger always came and we would talk. The Friday night before the concert he asked me if I was going to the Led Zeppelin concert. I told he no because I had no tickets and it was sold out. He than said he had a couple of tickets that he would bring in the next morning for me.
You could imagine how happy I was to be able to see Led Zepplin again. Very Happy
I got the tickets the next day. The tickets he gave me were floor tickets. If you ever been there the floor is huge. If you get the last section on the floor you will need binculars. I went to the concert and showed the usher in the rear the tickets and he pointed to go up towards the stage. Got half way up and asked the next usher and he took us all the way down to the Front Row in the Center. Front row seats to Led Zeppelin. Great concert.
The next week when I saw the boy who gave me the tickets I thanked him and asked him how he got those great seats. He than told me his dad was a lawyer for the group.
This is one of my stories hope someone else would have one. Looking foward to a good one in Sept.

Caniac

View user profile http://www.carypainting.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Concert Memories

Post  Blindtiger on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 am

That's awesome! I think this is a great thread idea. I'd also love to read stories about seeing bands at local clubs too!

I don't know if I have a great tale to tell... I'll have to think on it and get back to ya.
Blindtiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:34 am

That's a great story...It's funny, I thought about posting this exact thread because once the announcement's made we'll need other stuff to talk about. Great minds think alike.

Mine is from 1987. I was 20 years old and lived in Clinton, NJ. Most people in that area listened to the big radio stations out of New York but I liked a little independent rock station to the west in PA. They kept running an ad that Stevie Ray Vaughn was going to play at the Allentown Fair Grounds in Allentown, Pa. I love SRV but had never seen him and I started calling my buddies to see who wanted to go to the show. Everyone I called said, "Man...I can't drive all the way out to Allentown on a Wednesday night. I gotta work the next day!" I must've called 20 people...some of them were like, "Who is this again?"

The day of the concert came and it was killing me. I decided I had to see SRV so I jumped in my Jeep after work and drove to Allentown by myself. I didn't even know if I could get a ticket but they were still running the ads so I figured there were some available. I got to the Fair Grounds and bought a ticket at the booth. The stage was set up on the infield of the racetrack. There was barely anybody there when I got there so I walked right up to the stage. The Greg Allman Band opened up which was cool. He finished up and SRV was about to come on. I took a look behind me and the place was packed! I just stood there at Stevie Ray's feet and...absorbed every note. It was awesome. It was shortly after he got sober so he was full of energy and just loving it. Three years later he was gone. To this day, every time I see my buddy Dave (another Dave) he says, "Man, I wish I had gone to see Stevie Ray Vaughn with you that time!"

I have another semi-interesting story but I'll wait to hear from some other folks.
davethebuilder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CONCERT MEMORIES

Post  Rocky Raccoon on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Great stories Dave and Caniac!!

One of my favorites was when I saw Clapton and Pete Townsend and Keith Moon sat in for the entire show. They played Yardbird's, Cream and a lot of Who music.

Another fond memory was sitting with Yes after a show and talking music. I remember asking "who do you guys listen too?"

Rocky Raccoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Concert Memories

Post  rockfan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:48 pm

A little bit of a different kind of concert - but one that is forever ingrained in my memory nonetheless... Early 80s at a small college in upstate NY - Kenny Loggins was playing. The show was at 8, I made my husband get there at 3pm - General Admission tickets. No one stopped us from walking in and we got to watch the sound checks/warmups/etc... Needless to say, when the concert finally started, we were front row center... Kenny and his band were awesome and after a bit, to give the band a break, Kenny started to play an acoustic set. He played a few songs, then lapsed into a song he had written for his newborn son - a song that I particularly loved. While everyone else was getting antsy with the slow stuff - I yelled "YEAH!!" when he began the song. Kenny looked kind of grateful that anyone would want to hear it, looked at me and smiled. For his encore, he played "Celebrate Me Home", came over to us at the end of the stage, bent down and asked my husband if it would be ok if he sang to........ ME!!!! He held my hand, and sang about 30 seconds of the song 2 inches from my face! It was pretty awesome, and I swore I would never, ever wash that hand again! Of course, I did, but that was pretty intense and I'll never forget it. Met Todd Rundgren once at an after party - again in the early 80s - unique person!

rockfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 pm

rockfan wrote:Early 80s at a small college in upstate NY - Kenny Loggins was playing. He played a few songs, then lapsed into a song he had written for his newborn son - a song that I particularly loved.

I love that song too...The House at Pooh Corner...right? A few years ago we were on vaca in the Outer Banks. We took the kids to dinner and there was a good acoustic guitar player/singer playing. We asked him if he knew anything for kids and he played that song.
davethebuilder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Concert

Post  Rodg44 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm

One concert that stands out for me is one I went to in June of 1979 when I was 15.It was at Carter Finley Stadium and the lineup was Poco,The Outlaws,Van Halen and Boston.Brad Delp had lost his voice so Boston didn't sound as good as they normally did.Van Halen was awesome that day.

Rodg44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Concert Memories

Post  rockfan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm

davethebuilder wrote:
rockfan wrote:Early 80s at a small college in upstate NY - Kenny Loggins was playing. He played a few songs, then lapsed into a song he had written for his newborn son - a song that I particularly loved.

I love that song too...The House at Pooh Corner...right? A few years ago we were on vaca in the Outer Banks. We took the kids to dinner and there was a good acoustic guitar player/singer playing. We asked him if he knew anything for kids and he played that song.

House at Pooh Corner is DEFINATELY one of my favorite Loggins tunes - I love it. But that particular song he sang that night was called Cody's Song and I think was finally on an album in 1985 or somewhere close to that.

rockfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  woody on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Glitch in the beach trip- don't leave til Saturday.

Not the most awesome concert memory to share here, but I thought it was neat.
Went to see Don Henley here in Raleigh a few years ago- it rained like hell- I mean it was raining SIDEWAYS- don't even think there were too many people out on the lawn even. For some reason that night, the "guards" did'nt seem to care where people were sitting- so a few thousand or so of us were huddled up as CLOSE to the stage as we could get. I swear the music and the sound was so clear, it sounded like it was coming from the CD/Album- whatever.
I just remember it was the best "mini" concert I had ever been to.

woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Luck of the Show

Post  rockfan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 pm

A Rush concert? NOT a duh moment AT ALL! I believe that Neal Peart is THE best drummer ever - he is amazing and talented like no other. Saw Rush at Walnut Creek last summer and it was in my top 5 concerts ever. I know a lot of people don't like them - but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a huge fan. If that makes me ignorant in the eyes of other rock fans - so be it! Very Happy

rockfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  davethebuilder on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 pm

I was at that show too. It was the 6th time I've seen them but the first time since the '80's. I took my 8 year old son and now he's a big fan too. You should go on youtube and search for Neal Peart's appearance at the Buddy Rich tribute concert. He does this great solo on a small drum kit which goes to show it's the man not the big drum kit. The guys in the orchestra in front of him turn to each other and then look back in amazement like, "How the hell is he doing that?"
davethebuilder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rush Concert

Post  rockfan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Dave - I've seen that clip - you're right - proves EXACTLY what I said - the man is totally insane. I grew up listening to Rush - lived near Buffalo NY and got to listen to Canadian radio all the time - which meant LOTS of Rush. My son is a huge fan as well.

rockfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Memories of past concerts

Post  keenman on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Now that we're in the home stretch so to speak, I thought that I would share some of my auditory experiences from past concerts with this group. I'll start with a short diddie.

My First Time

My first experience attending a Rock n Roll concert was right here in Raleigh, NC at Dorton Arena (bad acoustics, but hey Joe, it was virtually the only place back then for a major concert). The time was April, 1968 (?). I was a junior in high school. Rock n Roll music was the real thing back then.

Being a NC native who truly loved rock n roll and didn't really care for beach music, I decided that I would mail my money along with a personal handwritten letter to the promoter of the concert (promoter's name escapes me, but they ran a radio spot on Raleigh radio station WKIX FM). I figured that the letter would get me and my buddies some good seats (8 of us, their first rock concert too). I wish that I could recall what I wrote in that letter cause it was a good one. Sure enough, we got pretty good seats. 2 seats in the very front row to left of stage and the other seats were a few rows back from the front stage.

Four of us decided to skip school on that Friday in April and drive the 80 miles to Raleigh, you know our first road trip. On the way to the concert we ... well, we had a lot fun. 1968 was a different time and we were young and innocent. We rode into Raleigh that early afternoon and checked into the Hilton Hotel on Hillsboro Street (this was big time for us). We drove around and tried to pick up some girls but that didn't work out. Still we could not wait to go to the concert and hear...

The Jimi Hendrix Experience!, along with "Fat Mattress" as the opening act (Noel Redding's group, no comment!).

Yeah, that's right, Jimi Hendrix, the master guitarist, the world's best rock n roll guitarist of all time, was my first rock n roll concert performer!, I kid you not! I have seen a few axe men in my rock n roll times (but that's another story), he was the absolute best without a doubt! Mitch Mitchell was on drums and Noel Redding was on bass. The band was tight and the crowd was into the show. I could go on and on about that concert but you really had to be there. Did anybody else make it to this show or see JHE?

Every now and then I remember bits and pieces of my first rock n roll concert, the play list, the crowd in Dorton, the posters (Jimi posing with naked blondes, shocking back then!), the Raleigh rock scene, Jimi's stage presence, his left-handed guitar techniques (he did play his Fender guitar with his teeth that night), etc. I think JHE played Cream's song, "Sunshine of your love".

Especially when I play some of Hendrix's records, I wish that I could see him again. I go back to that day in Raleigh every now and then. At that time, none of us had any idea that we were seeing and hearing the world's greatest rock n roll guitarist of all time. Unfortunately for all of us, Jimi Hendrix would die a short time later in September, 1970. Every September, I remember where I was when I heard the news of his passing in 1970.

Man, do I miss him, just like countless other fans do! I often wonder what Jimi Hendrix would be playing these days. Whatever it would be, I am sure that it would be top notch!

So there you have it, not bad, for your first rock n roll concert, to see and hear the world's best guitarist, now is it? Yes, the Jimi Hendrix Experience played here in Raleigh, one Friday night in April over forty years ago! I made it!

It is an experience that I will never, ever, forget. Rock on!

Last edited by keenman on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:09 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Correction)

keenman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  woody on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Now THAT is a cool story!! bom

woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  woody on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I know a guy who was living in Brevard, NC -in 1972- the "Raspberries" were opening at the Charlotte auditorium-- the "back up band" was a little known act- "The Doobie Brothers".
Everyone thought that the Doobies were going to be two brothers sitting on stools -playing the acoustic guitar. They came out with the double drummers --singing Jesus Is Just Alright -and all the others--Mark said it was so cool ,he lost his buzz!! True Story!! Surprised Very Happy Smile Shocked

woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down